If I told you to get your pickle juice and prepare to make chicken nuggets, you might think I was crazy.
That, however, is one of the key ingredients in our new favorite recipe.
This Healthy Chicken Nuggets recipe was a winner in our house. Best still, it was EASY.
I served the nuggets with a simple baked sweet potato.
Allow two hours for the recipe (simply because the chicken needs to marinate one hour) start to finish.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup dill pickle juice
- 1 1/2 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- To prepare the chicken nuggets, combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Marinate in refrigerator one hour, turning occasionally.
- Place panko in a large skillet; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Place panko in a zip-top plastic bag.
- Combine 2 tablespoons water and egg in a shallow dish; dip half of chicken in egg mixture. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat.
- Remove chicken from bag; arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining egg mixture, panko, and chicken.
- Bake chicken at 400° for 12 minutes or until done.
Of course, I keep all of my recipes in my Plant to Eat account.
You know how much I love Plan to Eat!
And, the recipes are all cataloged on my Health Pinterest Board.
Thank you for joining me on the journey to better health in 2013. In many ways we are putting our health above "school" this year, but I think teaching my children about good health is one of the most important jobs I have been charged with as a mother.