All. The. Books.
I just can't seem to shake this obsession to read books, collect books, go to bookstores, make a trip to the library.... you get the point!
As a homeschool mom it is important to be well read. We want to impart as much to our children as possible. When they see us reading they want to read. When we read about something interesting we can share it with our children.
Reading also helps me retain WHO I AM - it helps me remember the stories I love, and the things that feed my soul. Sometimes we homeschooling moms tend to lose that, know what I mean?
I'm seizing every possible moment to READ, and this summer I anticipate there will be more moments than during the regular school year.
So here's a peek into my reading life - my nightstand to be exact - for this summer.
Ways To Read
I read in several formats, simply because I'm reading all the time.
- Purchasing books - It's my weakness and I'm not apologizing for it, so many of these I have on my shelves.
- The Library - what a great place to hang out! I'm getting to know the librarians well, and often I'm seeing the same patrons at the library and we talk books. So much fun!
- Libby App - perfect for checking out eBooks - this is great for your iPhone or iPad - it's done by Overdrive.
- Audible - I always have one audiobook going in the car
How To Find The Books
Finding books is a large part of the fun of living the literary lifestyle! Maybe you can add some of these resources to your arsenal.
- Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club - I am a member of the book club, but you can also gain so much just from looking at all of her book lists!
- Book of the Month Club - LOVE this - I can get beautiful hardbacks that are inexpensive - they are also titles everyone is talking about!
- Library Bestseller Shelves - talking to the librarians
- What Should I Read Next? podcast
- Just the Right Book! podcast
- Book Friends - I love chatting and texting with my friends about good books!
Bookish Things I LOVE!
I have a reading pouch I keep with me at all times.
I love to have pens, highlighters, book darts, and pretty bookmarks. I also keep a very simple reading journal - with the names of the books I have read, the date finished, and a few of my favorite quotes.
My book light (what I gave my husband in his stocking for Christmas -- because it's really a gift to HIM that I don't keep him awake by keeping the lights on!) is probably my favorite thing ever!
Summer Reading for Pleasure
Most of my titles this summer are purely for pleasure.
Life has been busy and emotional the past year. I need a break. Reading is going to be my HUGE guilty pleasure this summer!
Summer Reading for Professional/Personal Development
Staying inspired and aware as a homeschooling parent is important. Because my children are older I have found myself choosing just a few books to keep me going.
I also am including personal development books in this category, too.
Classics for the Summer
I've chosen a few of the "lighter" classics for this summer.
Middlemarch is a GIANT book, but I'm listening to it on audio and it's oh so wonderful. It may take me all summer to finish it, but I'm ok with that. Make sure you listen to the version with Juliet Stevenson as the narrator - she is SPECTACULAR!
I'm not promising I'll get to all of these this summer, but I'm sure going to try!
I'd love to know what YOU are reading this summer. Leave me a comment below and I'll start adding to my list!