I've been pondering a few things the past week - the differences between my life just 18 months ago and now. Thought I would share. Homeschooling has changed our lives, that's for sure.
- I used to have a very orderly, clean house. Now, it is a creative, well-lived in home.
- The books used to be on shelves in the children's rooms in careful order based on type of book, etc... Now, books are EVERYWHERE. I swore I would never be a person who lived with piles, but never say never, right?
- I used to get up at the same time every morning (5:45 a.m.) to get a little one up at 6:15, to be on the bus at 7:15. I was always showered and ready to go for the day (in cute outfits, I might add)by 8:30 a.m., when I took my little one to preschool. Now, I get up a little before the kids and make breakfast, some days getting a shower, other days waiting until later in the day. I don't look sloppy, but I think the cuteness factor has gone down.
- The laundry used to be done and put away every evening. I did a load a day and had it all under control. Now, it is not uncommon for an unfolded load to be sitting in a basket in my bedroom for a few days (am I alone in this?). We all have clean clothes, but it's much more of a chore for me. I'd rather be learning with the kids.
- I used to have several good adult girl friends who I could chat with on the telephone and meet for coffee or lunch. Now, I am more closely connected with my kids, and I found out who a couple of TRUE friends were because they stuck with me and want to do things with the kids and I.
- I spent my free time scrapbooking, reading, and volunteering. Now, I have no free time! I do, however, have all the time in the world to help my children pursue their interests and to help shape them into the adults God wants them to be, and in turn I've been blessed with sharing their interests and desires. For example, I've learned to knit, thanks to my daughter wanting to learn, too. I'm sure there will be plenty of time for "me" when they are gone.
If you had children in traditional school before, what are some of the biggest changes you've seen in your lives since they've been at home? I'd love to know....
This post is linked to Friendly Fridays. I'm trying some blog hopping this afternoon for fun!